In an ever-changing and evolving work landscape, it’s important to be flexible whether you’ve been in a management role for a decade or a month. Keep learning new skills and techniques, so that if change occurs or the future brings an unexpected situation, you’re at the ready.
A guest post on Personal Branding Blog shares six ways that you can strive to improve your management style. It’s important to realize that these skills take time to develop. The following are some techniques to work on that will help you become the most effective manager you can be:
- Curate self-awareness: Self-awareness is the knowledge of one’s own feelings, motivations, strengths and shortcomings—most importantly, it is the first step in being able to improve your management style. Ask for feedback from employees and colleagues, push your limits, and write down your expectations/feelings/results to help gain more knowledge about yourself.
- Further your education: Whether you take a formal route and pursue a certificate, enroll in an online degree program, or attend a seminar on a new business topic you’re not familiar with, you are educating yourself. This will help to improve how you interact with others—bonus, you’ll be growing your knowledge base.
- Ask for ideas: Seek out new ideas from colleagues, such as how can you run things more effectively… how’s your customer service? Employees will be happy to give honest and open ideas and feedback if they’re encouraged to share and help improve the company.
- Change up communication: Chances are, you’ve had plenty of practice in your communication style. However, it’s never too late to see if you can get better results! If you meet regularly as a group, perhaps try meeting in one-on-ones the next week instead. You may find that you get different results!
- Get a mentor: If you have not yet, reach out to someone whose work you admire and invite them to coffee. Ask them if they’d be willing to act as a mentor or business coach! Changes are, they’ll say yes. This is the best way to learn about the strategies and techniques that helped someone else become successful as a leader! Note: this person should be someone from a different company than your own.
Have you tried some of the techniques outlined in this article? Share with us the most effective management techniques you’ve tried and how to implement them!
To read more in depth about these management techniques, visit: http://www.personalbrandingblog.com/6-ways-to-improve-your-management-style/.
Thanks for reading and until next time… stay WISE!