A roadmap to launching your own small business
The steps between a big idea and a fully operational small business can feel overwhelming, but we're here to help.
The roadmap below outlines all the steps you'll need to take on your journey to launching your own small business. There is no one-size-fits-all checklist that works for every entrepreneur, but our hope is that this resource can act as a guide.
How to use this roadmap
This roadmap gives a high-level overview of what it takes to launch a small business in New York State. Each stage is broken down into different actions you should consider taking and includes many useful tools and resources. Refer back to it as you bring your business idea to life.
We're here to support you on this journey
Table of contents
- Prepare yourself for the entrepreneurial journey
- Develop and clarify your business idea
- Determine if your business is viable
- Create a business plan
- Secure financing, if appropriate
- Build your team
- Create your marketing and sales strategies
- Officially form your business entity
- Set up your bookkeeping and manage your financials
- Work to your plan, evaluate, and iterate