Write your business plan with our Accelerate: Business Plan Intensive course
WISE Women's Business Center is excited to announce our newest program, Accelerate: Business Plan Intensive. In this 7-week, hands-on course, participants will work through each section of the business plan and walk away with a workable document. To see the full overview document and learn how to apply, click here.
The program begins on July 13th and runs 7 weeks through the end of August. Class meets Tuesday nights at 5:30 - 7:30pm. All program fees are waived for this first cohort. Applications are required and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Why write a business plan?
A thoroughly researched and well-written business plan is required for almost any business loan application. The same document can be used to bring on business partners, too. Perhaps most importantly, though, the process of writing a business plan allows you to think through your business idea and clarify things like your target market, pricing strategy, marketing and sales plans, and financial forecasts. Ultimately, a business plan guides your business decisions and acts as a strategic plan to work towards.
Each of the seven class sessions focuses on a different part of the business plan and includes time for participants to apply what they’ve learned to their own plans. The course will use LivePlan, a business plan authoring tool, which graduates will have access to for 3 months at no additional charge.
What to expect
It’s hands-on. This program is NOT a webinar series. Be prepared to participate in every session and engage with your instructors, peers, and community presenters.
It’s challenging. You’ll need to commit to 2 hours a week of “in-class” time, as well as another 2-3 hours to research, write, and revise your business plan.
It’s concrete. Throughout the program, you’ll learn about different sections of the business plan and how to approach them, then spend time writing that section on your own. You’ll have opportunities for feedback throughout, and, if you put in the effort, can walk away with a workable business plan.
Here are other program highlights:
- Instructor-led classes that are hands-on and participatory
- Weekly in-class time to work on your business plan and get feedback
- One-on-one feedback from our business counselors
- A complete business plan you can use to attract lenders and create an effective growth strategy
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Explain the elements of a basic business plan
- Apply those concepts to different businesses and scenarios
- Evaluate your own business ideas and decide on the best approach
- Create your own business plan
- Session 1: Problem & solution, target market, competition
- Session 2: Operations, company overview
- Session 3: Pricing, marketing, and sales
- Session 4: Financial forecasting
- Session 5: Financing, benchmarking, milestones, and metrics
- Session 6: Executive summary and the pitch
- Session 7: Pitches & presentations
Who should apply
This course is intended for people who are ready to put in the work to write a full business plan. You'll be a good fit for the program if you can say “yes” to all of the following:
- I have a well-vetted business idea, or recently launched a business
- I’m serious about entrepreneurship and ready to write my business plan
- I have at least 4-5 hrs a week to devote to the program
- I can commit to attending all 7 sessions throughout July and August
To be successful in this course, you’ll need a well-researched business idea, or already be in operation. Therefore, we ask that all applicants meet a least one of the following criteria:
- Have a recommendation from a business counselor from WISE, SBDC, SCORE, or a private coach saying you’re ready to write a business plan
- Can demonstrate you’ve done thorough market research
- Have taken concrete steps to validate your business idea
Where: You can choose to attend in person or via Zoom. We’re located on the ground floor of Equitable Tower 1, 100 Madison St. Syracuse NY 13202. COVID-related precautions will be communicated prior to the start date.
- Applications open: June 1st
- Information session: June 10th
- Applications close: June 25th or when the class is full
- Notifications of acceptance by June 29th
- Last day for accepted applicants to register: July 5th
- Class sessions: 7/13, 7/27, 8/3, 8/10, 8/17, 8/24, 8/31. Note - no class on 7/20.
- Feedback from business counselor complete: First week of September
All sessions will be held from 5:30 - 7:30 pm on Tuesdays.