WISE Women Entrepreneurs
This is the year of WISE! After 10 years of helping women, the WISE Women’s Business Center is proud to say that “YES,” we are making a difference! In 2015-16, the Center counseled more than 125 women entrepreneurs one-on-one (whose businesses collectively yielded over $136 million in gross revenues) and trained more than 1,000 people in various classes and workshops that are offered.
It’s great to hear these amazing numbers, but it’s also great to hear in-depth stories of local women entrepreneurs – their challenges, opportunities, successes and more. These stories are about the woman who strives to honor her deceased mom with a new medical business; the woman who opens her dream diner; the woman rejoices when she finds out a way to jump-start the business she’s worked for since she was 17 years old.
How can you be one of these women who are making their business dreams come true? First, walk through our door at the The Tech Garden. We’ll take it from there. Then it’s up to you to put in the hard work. But know this: the WISE Women’s Business Center is here to support you and your dreams. The thousand-mile journey starts with a single step! Learn more about some amazing local women who have shared their stories and journeys as WISE women by clicking on their stories below, originally featured in Syracuse Woman Magazine. If you’d like to share your story with us, send an e-mail to Lindsay Wickham.
- “If you are doing what you love, you are doing the right thing.”Tessa Kennedy, New Histories Jewelry
- “Take risks while you can—follow your heart to pursue your dreams.”Lilibeth Northern, Entrepreneur
- “Don’t look back. You’re not going that way.”
- “If you’re embarrassed about failing, you’re never going to try.”Donna Curtin, Grace Auto Body
- “Fear is a big part of what can hold you back, but you have to realize that indecision is a decision. Sometimes you have to take a leap of faith to move forward.”Amy Isca, Isca Design Studio
- “Knowledge is power. Learn all you can about what it is that you want to do.”Charlene Echols-Barnes, Echols Gourmet Wholesale Desserts